Ukraine

The Pentagon is considering any options after the attack in Iraq

The Pentagon is considering any options after the attack in Iraq

As a result of a missile attack on a military base &# 171; Camp Taj&# 187; killed two American and one British serviceman

Defense Secretary Mark Esper said Thursday that the Pentagon is “considering any course of action” to respond to a missile attack against an Iraqi base hosting US and coalition forces. US believes Iranian-backed groups are behind attack.

“The US will not tolerate attacks on our people, our interests, or our allies,” Esper told reporters at the Pentagon. – We must bring those responsible to justice. You cannot shoot at our bases, kill and injure Americans and not be held responsible for this..

On Wednesday, a rocket attack on Camp Taj, a military base north of Baghdad, killed two American and one British servicemen and injured 14 Americans, British and Poles..

Militants from Iran-backed groups fired about 30 Katyusha missiles towards the military base, 18 of which reached their target and damaged military facilities.

Esper said that he discussed the attack with President Donald Trump on Wednesday, but did not elaborate on what possible retaliatory measures were discussed during his conversation with the Supreme Commander..Pentagon is considering any options after the attack in Iraq Trump, speaking on Thursday at a press briefing at the White House, also did not talk about what the US response might be..

General Kenneth McKenzie, the commander of US Central Command, which is in charge of US military operations in the Middle East, said at a meeting of the Senate Armed Services Committee that the circumstances of the attack were still being investigated, adding that the only force that had previously conducted a fire attack of this magnitude against US forces in Iraq, is the terrorist group Kataib Hezbollah.

However, Army General Mark Millie, chairman of the Joint Chiefs of Staff, told reporters who asked who carried out the attack: “We can [say] but we won’t. We know with a great deal of confidence, but we will not talk about it publicly at the moment “.

On Thursday, representatives of Kataib Hezbollah commended the attack on Camp Taji, but did not take responsibility for the attack..

“Blessed be those who carried out this highly accurate jihadist operation,” the group said in a statement translated by SITE Intelligence..

The Iraqi presidential administration condemned the terrorist attack in a statement on Thursday, highlighting the need to find the culprits.

Similar articles